|PROGRAMFellows spend a period of three summer months
living in Virginia- visiting, researching and
documenting their respective historic site.
Each Fellow’s final report, including measured drawings and written history, will be published online as well as archived into the ongoing collections of the Garden Club of Virginia.
Applicants must be candidates for a master’s
degree in landscape architecture, historic preservation, landscape or architectural history, archaeology, or horticulture.
Each Fellow will be paid a
stipend of $8,000 plus most living expenses.
Housing will be provided within the proximity of each project site. Fellows are
expected to provide their own
transportation during the summer,
but will be reimbursed for project-related travel expense including daily travel to
and from the site.
Applications are due at midnight on April 8th. Fellows will be selected and notified by April 15th.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply and learn more about
this unique opportunity at:
GARDEN CLUB OF
VIRGINIA ‘S VISION
…to celebrate the beauty of
the land, to conserve the
gifts of nature, and to challenge future generations to build on this heritage.
|The 2015 Rudy J. Favretti FellowshipBerkeley Plantation, Charles City
One of the “first great estates in America”, Berkeley is the site of the first official Thanksgiving, the birthplace of “Taps”, and the ancestral home of Benjamin Harrison V, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his son, William Henry Harrison, the ninth President of the United States.
On December 4, 1619, 39 colonists arrived from England to settle an 8000-acre land grant known as “Berkeley Hundred”. On that day, the first official Thanksgiving was held, one year and 17 days before the Pilgrims landed in New England. Three years later, the settlement was eliminated in the Indian Massacre of 1622.
The 3-story Georgian brick house was constructed by 1726 for Benjamin Harrison IV and his wife Anne Carter, daughter of Robert “King” Carter. The plantation was a major force in colonial Virginia’s economic, cultural and social life, and passed to Benjamin Harrison V, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and three-time governor of Virginia, and then to Benjamin Harrison VI. Harrison V’s younger son, William Henry Harrison, was born at Berkeley in 1773 and became the ninth President of the United States.
During the Civil War, Berkeley was occupied by some 140,000 soldiers. President Lincoln visited on two occasions, and following the Seven Days’ battles, General Daniel Butterfield, with the help of brigade bugler O.W. Norton, composed “Taps” to honor his men while encamped at Berkeley.
Now 1000 acres overlooking the James, Berkeley is a National Historic Landmark. The original brick buildings remain and five terraced gardens, thought to be dug by hand prior to the Revolutionary War, lead 1400 feet down to the river. Miles of old-fashioned gravel roads meander through field, forest, and pastures.
|The 2015 William D. Rieley FellowshipWestover Plantation, Charles City
As early as 1616, John Rolfe, husband of Pocahontas, wrote about “West Hundred”. In 1688, the plantation known as Westover was purchased by the Byrd family. The library that William Byrd II, founder of the city of Richmond, assembled at Westover was the largest in the colonies, with over 4,000 volumes. A quintessential James River plantation house, Westover is one of the country’s premier examples of colonial Georgian architecture.
In early January 1781, Benedict Arnold’s fleet landed at Westover, then owned by William Byrd III’s widow, Mary. From Westover, the British marched to Richmond, the new capital of Virginia, and set the city ablaze. Mary succeeded in keeping possession of Westover until her death in 1814. By the turn of the next century, Westover would change hands seven times.
Near the end of the 1862 Peninsula Campaign of the Civil War, Westover was used as headquarters for Union Generals while the neighboring Berkeley Plantation was converted into a major military base. During this time, Westover’s East wing was hit by a Confederate cannon- intended for Union troops- and lay in ruin until the property was purchased in 1899 by Mrs. Clarise Ramsey, a Byrd descendant. She was instrumental in rebuilding the East wing, modernizing the house, and connecting the main house to the previously separate dependencies with hyphens.
Westover was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Crane in 1921 and has remained in the family since. The National Historic Landmark is situated beneath 150-year-old tulip poplar trees and alongside ancient boxwood. An expansive lawn meets the banks for the James River. The grounds include formal gardens, a rare iron clairvoyee, plantation outbuildings such as a five-hole privy, icehouse with tunnel, a collection of barns of varying ages and three sets of elaborate 18th-century English wrought-iron gates, among the most elaborate in America.